Monday, August 18, 2008

Secret Ingredient

I came in behind Michael. He screamed his head off, ran for his mom, and buried his face in her dress. Sara stroked his hair and looked at me with those beautiful, blue, accusing eyes.

"What happened?"

I shrugged and tossed my glove on the counter, failing to notice she'd just cleaned everything in the kitchen. "He wasn't looking and stepped into a pitch. I think he's more scared than anything."

She bent down and felt around Mikey's forehead. "Oh. You've got a bad knot, honey. Why don't you get a bath cloth and wash your face. I'll fix you some ice."

Mikey ran past me while she rummaged through the freezer. I could feel the cold from across the room.

"What?" It didn't matter that it had been an accident. Her little boy was hurt and I was the bad guy. I changed tactics, putting my arms around her from behind. She pulled away.

"I've got to help Mikey." She stopped and looked at the glove on the counter. "I just wiped that off."

"Sorry." But she was gone. I picked up the glove and wiped the counter down, trying to get all the imaginary dirt she hated so much.

Sara and Mike came back from the bathroom. He had stopped crying. "You can put in one of your movies. What do you want to eat?"

"Chicken sandwich."

"Okay."

She walked back in the kitchen and wiped off the counter again, dissatisfied with the job I'd done. I smiled at her. "I want a chicken sammich, too."

She tried to keep her frowny face focused on what she was doing. "You haven't been good enough for a chicken sandwich."

"What I gotta do? You want to throw a baseball at me?"

She looked up, pointing her knife at me. "I might."

She tried to get the lid off the mayonnaise jar. I watched her struggle, knowing she'd break the jar before asking for my help. I took it from her and twisted it...well I thought it would twist right off. I strained against the lid for a minute, until it came loose, then handed it back.

"Thanks, puny."

I smiled at her and she couldn't help smiling back. I put my arms around her again and messed with the chicken sandwich she was making. "Here. I'll help."

"Stop it." She smiled as I wiped the mayonnaise knife on her hand. "I'm going to hurt you."

I reached up and stuck a finger in her nose. "Ah! I found the secret ingredient!" She wriggled away and stomped my foot. "Oww!"

She smiled. "I told you I was going to hurt you."

I turned to see Mikey standing in the doorway. "What are you doing?"

She put the sandwich in the microwave and smiled at Mikey. "Your dad thinks he's being funny. Do you think he's funny?" Mikey shook his head.

I gave them my smuggest expression. "My comedy is for sophisticated audiences."

"Is daddy a weirdo?"

Mikey nodded. The microwave beeped and Sara handed the plate to him. "It's hot. Be careful."

Mikey looked up at her. "I can't make the TV work."

Sara looked at me. "I don't know how it's set up. I'll bet dad can fix it."

I winked at her as I walked with Mikey from the kitchen. "Hilarious and handy."

She smacked me on the butt and smiled. "I'll bring you a chicken sandwich with the secret ingredient."

1 comment:

kalisgirl said...

It's just like this at my house, but with a tuna sandwich and a very different secret ingredient.